Occurring, growing, or living in a natural state; not domesticated, cultivated, or tamed
uncontrolled or unrestrained, esp. in pursuit of pleasure. "wild behavior"
1. (Zoology) (of animals) living independently of man; not domesticated or tame
2. (Botany) (of plants) growing in a natural state; not cultivated
3. uninhabited or uncultivated; desolate: a wild stretch of land.
4. (Anthropology & Ethnology) living in a savage or uncivilized way: wild tribes.
5. lacking restraint: wild merriment.
6. of great violence or intensity: a wild storm.
7. disorderly or chaotic: wild thoughts; wild talk.
8. dishevelled; untidy: wild hair.
9. in a state of extreme emotional intensity: wild with anger.
10. reckless: wild speculations.
11. not calculated; random: a wild guess.
12. unconventional; fantastic; crazy: wild friends.
13. (foll by: about) intensely enthusiastic or excited
14. (Card Games) (of a card, such as a joker or deuce in some games) able to be given any value the holder pleases: jacks are wild.
15. wild and woolly
a. rough; untamed; barbarous
b. (of theories, plans, etc) not fully thought out
16. in a wild manner
17. (Horticulture) to grow without cultivation or care
18. to behave without restraint
19. (Physical Geography) (often plural) a desolate, uncultivated, or uninhabited region
20. the wild
a. a free natural state of living
b. the wilderness
When you read these words what calls to you? Where in your life are you domesticated? Where have you adapted to your family, your culture, your work and gone against your wild nature? Where do you yearn to be more wild in your life? In your heart?
Play with this and see what comes up for you. Is there resistance, shame, or judgment popping up? Delight, freedom, and new ideas? All of that? Choose one wild part of you that emerges and welcome it in, research having it as part of your life. How does it feel to live with this part of you?
For me, one of the big wild things I've welcomed into my life is dancing in nature. I love being at the beach, the park and moving my body. Feeling the air whipping through my hair, the sun on my skin- Alicia Keys, Rhiannon, Mumford and Sons, Fun, Pink, Beyonce singing in my ear. At first I was self-conscious, I was the only one dancing at the beach. Plenty of people were walking, jogging, swimming, surfing, boogie boarding... It's like the Pyramid game "Things you do at the beach." Dancing at the shore as the water laps up against my legs. Not in that category. But I kept with it, my wild kept calling me to the shore and now I dance, for me, for my wild to emerge and show up in the world and take its place.
I would love to hear about what emerges for you and how it feels to come home to more of your wild.